The communist and workers’ parties that met in Lisbon, on February 16 2008 on the occasion of the meeting of the Working Group of the International Meeting of Communist and Workers’ Parties, discussed the developments surrounding the imminent self-proclaimed Kosovo independence, promoted by United States of America, NATO and European Union and consider that:
Such a step – that violates the international law and United Nations’ resolutions on this subject - will have grave consequences in the Balkans region and internationally.
It bring serious dangers for the peoples, triggering border changes, threatening to engulf the whole region in a new escalation of conflicts, wars and international interventions, and raising a dangerous international precedent.
Our Parties voice against the secession of Kosovo from the Republic of Serbia. We demand that all governments refrain from recognizing the Kosovo independence as well as from dispatching troops in the area.
Lisbon, 16th February 2008-02
• Workers Party of Belgium
• Communist Party of Brazil
• Communist Party of Bohemia and Moravia
• Communist Party of Cuba
• Communist Party of Greece
• Communist Party of India (Marxist)
• Workers Party Ireland
• Party of the Italian Communists
• Lebanese Communist Party
• People’s Party of Panama
• Portuguese Communist Party
• Communist Party of the Russian Federation
• South African Communist Party
• Communist Party of Spain
• Communist Party of the Peoples of Spain
• Syrian Communist Party
• Communist Party of Ukraine